The Marriage Department is responsible for issuing Marriage Licenses. Pursuant to applicable Louisiana statutes, applicants for Marriage Licenses must provide:
- Valid picture I.D.
- Certified copies of birth certificates for both parties.
- A Social Security card or a Pictured ID that contains a Social Security Number.
- If either party was previously married, that party will need to show proof of how the immediately prior marriage ended; for example, a certified copy of divorce judgment or a death certificate of the former spouse.
- To purchase a marriage license without parental or court intervention you must be at least 18 years old. If either party to the marriage is between the ages of 16 and 18, the signatures of both parents of that party are required. If either party is under the age of 16, a court order and signatures of both parents of that party are required in order to obtain a license.
- Licenses must be purchased at least 72 hours in advance of the ceremony.
- A Marriage License expires 30 days from the date of issue.
- The cost is $27.50, payable in cash only.
- Either party must be present.